The main objective of GRE test is to evaluate the verbal, mathematical and also analytical skills of the students to check whether they are eligible to apply for variety of courses worldwide. We have listed down the major mistakes students make in GRE Preparation.
10 Common Mistakes In GRE Preparation
- AWA, being the opening section, if not performed well could lead to decrease in the confidence level. So, it should be taken seriously which most of the students don’t usually do. You should practice AWA on the computer, but on the paper as practising on a sheet of paper would do no good.
- Don’t restrict yourself with the set of High-frequency words which do not suffice the requirement of the range of vocabulary for GRE. Equip yourself with as much vocabulary as you can.
- A much larger percentage of the students feel that critical reasoning is tough, eventually ignoring it even without trying. This is a big mistake as AWA is dependent on CR and so ignoring CR cost marks not only for that section but also for AWA.
- When solving Multiple – answer questions, students do not usually check if both the answers are right and consider that the total question is correct if one of the answers is chosen right. In fact, you earn the score for a question only if all the answers that are chosen are right.
- Concentrating solely on vocabulary and neglecting to understand the structure of the sentences does not help you in getting the right answer. You should have the ability to understand the question first along with a good range of vocabulary.
- If practice is done without the timer set, you would definitely face a difficulty in the main exam.
- In case of short and long comprehension, inference questions seem tough but with a bit of practice, these could be solved easier. Remember, inference questions are the high probable questions!
- Don’t practice reading the long comprehension word to word. You may not have enough time to do so in the main exam. Use skim and scan technique to solve the questions easier within the stipulated time.
- You should use good vocabulary for AWA but you need not get practised with it separately but rather, learn the usage of the word already learnt for objective questions.
- There are many techniques to improve the range of words. Never mug up the list of words! Try using the techniques like Root-prefix-suffix and/or Mnemonics to learn and memorise vocab.
So these are the list of major mistakes in GRE preparation most students make, which leads to a normal or a low score. Make sure that you are not doing the same and practise more efficiently to get your dream score in GRE exam. You can also check out our other posts on best Tips and Strategies in GRE preparation to ACE the GRE.