Scholarships for International Students
What is a Scholarship?
A scholarship is a form of financial aid given to students to support their further education. These are based on various criteria like academic merit, financial needs, gender, country etc. and come in the form of grants, tuition waivers and fellowships.
Types of Scholarships
The different types of scholarships for studying abroad are-
- Merit-based scholarships
- College specific
- Country of origin specific
- A student from special backgrounds
- Subject-based scholarships
- Program-specific awards
In this blog we have discussed some of the major scholarships offered to Indian students planning to study abroad. Read on!
1. Hani Zeini Scholarship
The Hani Zeini Scholarship is an attempt to help financially weak students who have an excellent academic record and have a vision to change the world. This scholarship offers 1,000 USD to 1 student who wishes to pursue business or finance from an overseas university.
The Hani Zeini Scholarship is also merit based and is applicable to students of all streams. The scholarship covers the tuition fees and is accepted in countries like the USA, UK, Canada etc.
There is no specific eligibility but students are required to write an 800 word essay which discusses business challenges and the ways to overcome them.
2. Narotam Sekhsaria’s Scholarships
Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation is a nonprofit organization founded by Mr. Narotam Sekhsaria. The Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship is designed to help students who are planning to pursue their post graduation. This scholarship is merit based and will cover only the tuition and fees. It is applicable in Canada, USA, and Australia etc.
- He/she needs to have an exceptional academic record
- Should be an Indian Citizen
- Should have completed studies from a recognized Indian University
- Students who are willing to study masters
- Should be below 30 years of age
- Selection will also be based on an interview
3. The Inlaks Shivdasani Scholarships
Founded by Indoo Shivdasani, the Inlaks Shivdasani Scholarship was designed for philanthropic activities. The scholarship is awarded to students who are planning to pursue their post graduation from the US, UK etc. The total sum of money provided is INR 74, 39,000. The scholarship covers full tuition fees, adequate living expenses, one-way travel allowance and health allowance.
- should be an Indian resident
- should be 30 years of age
- should have outstanding academic records
4. National Overseas Scholarship
The National Overseas Scholarship is provided by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, India to support students from economically backward classes to pursue their education from an abroad university.
The scholarship is aimed to provide financial backing to students belonging to scheduled castes, and other backward castes who are planning to study Masters or PhD abroad. The scheme covers cost of attendance, travel expenses, medical insurance of recipients.
- Should be an Indian citizen
- Should be willing to study masters abroad
- Belong to any of the following categories:
o Scheduled Castes (SC)
o Denotified Nomadic Tribes
o Semi-Nomadic Tribes
o Landless Agricultural Labourers
o Traditional Artisans
The scholarship covers:
- Humanities and social sciences
- Management and engineering
- Applied sciences
5. Lady Meherbai D.Tata Education Trust Scholarship
The Lady Meherbai D. Tata Education Trust Scholarship is offered to women graduates who are looking forward to pursuing higher education abroad. The scholarship fund is merit based and supports students who want to study in the US, UK, Canada etc. The scholarship covers the following programs:
- Social work
- Public health
- Child health
- Rural development work
- Education and welfare of children with special needs
- Health policy and health education
- Should be a women candidate
- Graduated from a recognized Indian university
- Brilliant academic results
- Minimum of 2 years work experience
- Should be interested in studying Masters abroad
6. Tata Scholarship – Cornell University
The Tata education and Development Trust is a philanthropic attempt aimed to financially support the brilliant students. A total of 20 scholars are given Tata Scholarship to continue their undergraduate studies at Cornell University.
The Tata scholarship is offered by Tata education and development trust in collaboration with Cornell University. The university has a $25 million endowment from the Tata trust.
- Should be an Indian citizen
- Completed higher secondary from a recognized Indian college
- Acceptance to Cornell as an undergraduate student
- Must qualify for need based financial aid
7. Aga Khan Foundation Scholarships
The Aga Khan Foundation gives a number of scholarships for postgraduate studies to brilliant students. The scholarships are need based and are awarded on a 50% grant 50% loan basis and candidates are selected through a competitive application process.
The grant is basically for post graduate courses though Ph.d programs are also considered provided the candidate is brilliant. The scholarship covers tuition fees and living expenses of students. The recipients are considered from the following countries: India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Madagascar and Mozambique.
- financial needs
- admission to a reputable university
- brilliant academic records
8. Rhodes Scholarship
The Rhodes Scholarship is an international postgraduate scholarship awarded to students at Oxford University. It is a merit based scholarship and every year 100 Rhodes scholarships of $20,883 (INR 15, 57,923) are given to students. Selections are based on merit and an interview.
- Indian students may apply
- Have a 1st class UG degree
- Completed education from Indian University
9. Harvey Fellowship
The Harvey Fellowship is given by the Mustard Seed Foundation to Christian students. The fellowship is for students who are planning to pursue their masters from reputed institutions in areas which are discriminated by Christians. The amount of grant is $16,000 and is applicable in various countries like the US, UK, Canada etc. It covers programs like:
- Economics, business, and finance in public and private sectors
- International diplomacy, security, and business
- Journalism and media
- Film production and visual and performing arts
The scholarship is given one time and covers tuition fees and living expenses, travel expenses and other expenses.
- Recipient should be a Christian
- He/she should have brilliant academic records
10. Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program
The Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program is a scholarship program offered by the Reliance Industries and helps Indian students with low financial means. Any student looking forward to pursuing their MBA from Stanford University is eligible for applying for this scholarship. Total amount is $94,915 or INR 70.7 lakhs per year to the fellows from India and covers tuition fees, living expenses and health insurance.
- Students must be Indian citizens.
- They must be eligible for the Stanford MBA program.
- They must have a graduate degree in hand.
- English proficiency scores through IELTS/TOEFL are required.
- They must have passed the minimum cutoff for GMAT or GRE.
11. Goa Education Trust Scholarships
The Goa Education Trust Scholarship is a merit based scholarship for students who are planning to do their post graduation in the UK. This scholarship has been provided with an aim to facilitate overseas higher education for the students of Goa. The recipients are given full or partial tuition fees and the Trust is valid in all universities of the UK for all PG level courses.
- you should be an Indian citizen
- brilliant academic records from a recognized Indian University
- residents of Goa or be born to Goan parents or grandparents
12. Oxford and Cambridge Society of India (OCSI) Scholarships
The Oxford and Cambridge Society of India (OCSI) Scholarships is awarded to the students interested in pursuing UG, Graduation and Research Program in the Oxford University. It is a merit based scholarship which provides financial aid of INR 200,000 during their study.
It covers only the tuition fees and is applicable to students who want to do graduation and post graduation in the UK.
- should be a citizen of India
- should have great academic records
Why Texas Review?
Texas Review is the best coaching centre in Hyderabad offering test prep for IELTS, TOEFL. We also provide entry level coaching for GRE, GMAT and SAT in Hyderabad and the entire southern region of India.
Students are the very root of Texas Review and we strive to fulfill their dreams of studying abroad in their dream university. The primary objective of us is to impart quality test preparation with a view to making overseas education accessible to all students pan India.
Texas Review also takes pride in giving out university counseling for your admission, university selection, admission consultation and admission processing from scratch. To ease the burden of your study abroad journey we have a dedicated team of professionals, instructors and mentors who guide you to the right destination and build a bright future.
We offer immigration services to countries like the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, South Africa and Austria. Texas Review takes care of your visa needs, country selection, job selection and other services. We will stand by you right from your enrollment to post departure services like accommodation and airport pickup. Sign up to know more.
- Expert Admission Counseling
A clear assistance will be delivered in choosing the right university with a befitting program in which you can build a bright career.
- Free Visa Processing
We offer the most transparent “Free Visa Processing” facility by expert and proven counsellors to make sure the process goes quick and hassle free.
- Standardised Tests
We provide success oriented test prep for IELTS, PTE and TOEFL from adept trainers with vast hands-on experience and 24/7 assistance
- Personalised training
Our goal is to provide expert training for standardised tests which injects you enough confidence for a better performance.
- 1 Year Course Validity
You can retake the course, if you are not satisfied with your earlier performance in the test.
- Pre departure Guidance
We guide you with all the essential information about immigration and post landing advice.
- Visa Slot Booking
We will book the VISA slot online to schedule your interview and provide you the guidance on tackling interview for a sure shot
- Representing over 150 International Universities
- High Visa Success Rate
- Rapid Branch proliferation in short period of time
- Team of 300+ experienced industry professionals
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog post. BOOK A CALL!
Any queries regarding Overseas Admission or Visa Procedures, Please contact our Expert Counselor only at email@example.com