The right CAT preparation guide will help you ace your CAT exam with a good score. To know about the preparation and timing, the test-takers must go through this guide on CAT 2020 when and how to start preparation by texas review.
CAT- Common Admission Test is a computer-based MBA entrance test for admission into Business schools all over India. IIMS (Indian Institutes of Management Studies) conducts the CAT exam every year. Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) takes care of the CAT exam. CAT is an online test with a duration of 3 hours divided into 3 sections with 100 questions.
Considered as the prominent MBA entrance test, it offers a tough competition for admission to top B-schools accepting CAT scores. The candidates who are applying for CAT have been increasing every single year.
When to start CAT 2020 preparation?
A common question that trouble MBA aspirants the most is when to start CAT preparation. Some of the questions we get from aspirants are:
A common question troubling most MBA students is “when to start CAT preparation.
The right time to start CAT preparation is based on the skills and abilities of the candidates. Additionally, the amount of time they devote for preparation on a daily basis. So, starting CAT preparation in March is the best idea.
Best Time to Start CAT Preparation: According to experts in the field, candidates should plan to finish the entire CAT syllabus by august.
The primary segments of CAT include:
- Data Interpretation
- Logical Reasoning
- Verbal Ability
- Quantitative Aptitude
Therefore, students should start to focus on building speed and accuracy and later mock full-length mock tests.
Besides, the CAT 2020 exam date and registration details are expected to be released by July.
CAT Exam Pattern
The CAT exam pattern has changed many times in the past. However, the pattern remained the same for the last two years in terms of total marks and number of sections.
Here is the brief detail about the CAT Exam Pattern:
Follow the exam pattern to strategize your CAT preparation. Now, let’s have a look at the CAT exam syllabus.
For the CAT exam, there is no predefined syllabus. The syllabus is mainly from the middle school topics of Maths, and English with some generic logical reasoning questions. A few of the details of CAT syllabus are:
Here is the brief look at the CAT exam syllabus:
|Total Questions in CAT Exam||100|
|Total Duration||180 Minutes|
|Negative Marking||-1 for Each Incorrect Attempt|
|Sectional Details||Sectional Details Quantitative Aptitude, Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension, and Logical Reasoning & Data Interpretation|
CAT Quantitative Aptitude: The CAT quantitative aptitude deals with topics from class 8-10 algebra, geometry, number system, etc.
CAT Logical Reasoning & Data Interpretation: The logical reasoning section is generic with a wide variety of questions based on direction sense test, seating arrangement, etc. Moreover, the data interpretation section includes questions based on graphs and data case-lets.
CAT Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension: This section deals with the comprehension passages followed by a few questions. Additionally, few grammar-based questions like sentence completion, jumbled sentences, etc. are asked.
Strategy to prepare for CAT 2020
Following the right strategy is an easy and flexible method for CAT preparation. The CAT preparation strategy below will help you prepare for CAT effectively.
Step 1: Understand the CAT Exam Pattern & Syllabus
Step 2: Focus on your strong areas, revise the topics and improve the weak areas.
Step-3: Take CAT Mock tests to figure out your strong and weak topics
Step 4: Devote at least 3-4 hours a day for CAT preparation
Step 6: Consistently work on improving your weak areas with more preparation
Step-8: Complete preparation 2-3 days prior to the CAT exam.
Step 9: Get ready for the CAT exam day. Stay relaxed.
Is it possible to study for CAT with a Self-study Plan
CAT self-preparation remains the key to crack CAT 2020 with a high score. Furthermore, several students who have taken CAT revealed that scoring 100 and 99 percentile in CAT exams is not a mountain with self-study. Here are some proven tips to ace the CAT with self-preparation
- Build your Basics
- Solve Practice questions & Sectional Mocks
- Overcome the weakness
- Find out the best ways to solve questions
Preparation Tips to Crack CAT 2020
- Follow CAT 2019 Exam Pattern and Syllabus
- Decide your preparation mode i.e., either coaching or self study
- Break Down the Preparation into section and topic Wise
- Schedule your Preparation and make a time-table
- Take Mocks and Solve Previous Year Papers and check your preparation level.
In addition to these, here are some additional tips to follow to ace the CAT examination 2020:
- The first step is to acquire a look at the material. Join a training center, as they can assist immensely. Also, sign up for some check series.
- Practice with a timer and do no longer use a calculator, in particular at the same time as practicing Data Interpretation.
- Practice every topic properly. This will assist in assessing your strengths and weaknesses.
- Instead of solving 20 questions of 1 type, solve four questions of five types from every subject matter.
- Make a list of your sturdy and weak regions. In the initial stage, emphasize strengthening your weak regions.
- Start taking mocks as early as possible. Don’t be disheartened in case you are scoreless. Mocks are so as to understand the regions you want to put more effort in.
- Analyze each mock you take. The greater the mocks you take, the better the strategy you’ll be capable of form. It is suggested to take no less than 1 and a maximum of three mocks in a week.
- Once you end the whole syllabus, awareness in most cases on mocks and sectional tests.
- In the very last 2 months, do not put together any new topics. Work on strengthening those you are suitable at.
- Take adequate breaks, and get enough sleep whilst preparing for CAT.
Finally, most students feel that CAT is challenging to crack. This is because of its level of competition. However, with the right practice and smart preparation from CAT expert trainers jayanagar, Bangalore, you can easily score high percentile in the test. Good luck!